Friday, March 12, 2010

Look! Eggs!

Lookie what I found yesterday when I went to feed my chickens!


I've had a major egg drought.  I've been buying my eggs *gasp* for the last few months because my little freeloaders have been on winter break.  Chickens need a certain amount of light hours per day to lay, and unless you provide light during the short days of winter-and I don't-they'll slow down or stop production.  The days have been getting longer and they finally started laying again.  Yipee! 

My punkins ate a couple of those beautiful eggs for breakfast today.  Aren't the bright orange yolks pretty? 


My birds free range and the beta carotene from the grass they eat makes the yolks a much deeper color than standard store-bought eggs.  Of course my little creatures of habit  darling children were a little wary of the different color after several months of store-bought eggs, but they changed their tune after a couple of bites. 

It's almost time for baby chicks!!! 


P.S.  My middle sister made that pottery bowl!  Isn't it gorgeous?!  I love pottery so much, it just makes me happy.

2 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about asking you if you had eggs to sell! Let me know if you get that many... I am dying for some fresh eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will let you know, Christa. It's always feast or famine with the eggs, it seems. Right now I'm trying to not buy any, so we keep having to run out to the coop in the midst of recipes, lol!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails